My sister loves almonds. Not really actual almonds, but almond essence – marzipan, gevulde koeken, etc. When we were really young, visiting our grandparents, we found a cookie jar and inside were amaretti. Italian almond cookies? Win!
Unfortunately, I had no Amaretto, so I substituted with some butterscotch schnapps ❤
Basically, Amaretti are like Italian macarons; they’re much harder, they’re cracked on the surface and they don’t have any chewiness. They’re great if you have a few with a coffee.
Recipe from Joe Pastry
- 177g toasted almonds, ground
- 1 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 57g icing sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 78g sugar
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 1 Tbs Amaretto or schnapps
- Process almond, cornflour and icing sugar until very fine.
- Whip egg whites and sugar to stiff peaks.
- Briefly whip in almond essence and alcohol.
- Fold almond mixture into meringue.
- Pipe 2.5cm diameter rounds.
- Bake 175°C for 15 minutes.
- Prop open oven door and bake 30 minutes 95°C to dry.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.